Scope of Work: Laborers work jurisdiction is divided into four general categories:
- Commercial – the laborer may tend mason, place concrete, work with operators in site preparation, tend carpenters, clean up site.
- Highway – May lay sewer and water mains, check road grade for operators, place concrete and asphalt, break and remove old concrete.
- Underground – Works as a pipe layer, tailman, top man while installing sewer, water and gas lines.
- Industrial Construction – involves all new construction, remodeling and demolition in factory type buildings.
Laborers must have common knowledge of all work performed by building tradespeople, for they are the tenders or helpers in the industry. They are called up to operate and maintain power tools such as a chain saw, tamping machine, concrete vibrator, chipping hammer, cutting and burning demolition, mixing for and tending of bricklayers and plasterers.
Working Conditions: Laborers are exposed to all weather conditions. Sometimes they are called upon to work at heights and also depths, sometimes hundreds of feet underground on subways, tunnels and storage reservoirs. In their work, there is much bending, walking, standing, lifting and carrying.
- Must be at least 18 years of age and drug free
- Must be physically able to perform the work of the trade
- Strong mathematical and reading skills
- Reliable transportation
- Must be fully aware of working conditions (see above)
Length of Program: Apprenticeship requires 4,000 hours of diversified work and training, no less than 400 hours of related instructional classes.
Michigan Laborers’ Training and Apprenticeship Institute Perry Training Facility
11155 S. Beardslee Road
Perry, Michigan 48872
(517) 625-4919 Fax: (517) 625-4046
Michigan Laborers’ Training and Apprenticeship Institute Iron Mountain Training Facility
W-8008 South US 2 P.O. Box 163
Iron Mountain, Michigan 49801
(906) 774-5703 Fax: (906) 774- 5703
Michigan Laborers’ Training and Apprenticeship Institute Wayne Training Facility
Wayne, Michigan 48184
(734) 729-7005 Fax: (734) 729-8792
How to Apply: Call 313-894-2241 or visit https://www.laborerslocal1191.org/Contact-Us to fill out a non-member registration form.